Monday 9 May 2011

Diary Entry - Day 3 & 4, Laban CAT Student Vivienne West, Sunday 1st Monday 2nd May 2011

On May 1st and 2nd we finally met for two intensive days of final rehearsals at the Urdang Academy in London. I was really looking forward to seeing the group and Daniel again and couldn’t wait to also watch the setting process which started to emerge throughout the two days. As usual Daniel led our warm up whilst also preparing us to recap our movement phrases for our two dance pieces. For the first time Daniel set a few students tasks of creating new material using a similar style of contrasting movement. Daniel asked me to complete this and observed and helped me develop my own movement which he later used. I really enjoyed the time to think of my own movement and for Daniel to ask me and comment and approve of my work it meant a lot and I was so happy.

A similar atmosphere was present throughout the two rehearsals showing hard work, our excitement and enthusiasm for the final dance and also helping Daniel to stop, start and change movement or timing he wished to. Other people joined us throughout the two days including a photographer, who captured elements of the movement and the relationship between the group and Daniel, our costume designer who took measurements and lastly an animator who openly explained the work she is doing and the contribution it hopes to make to Daniel’s movement and overall vision. The arrival of these guests really motivated and excited the group even more as we all were being informed on costumes and lighting which created a real visualisation of what the whole project will eventually look like. It was only at this time, it hit me that I will be performing at the famous Sadler’s Wells Theatre which was daunting yet unbelievable. At the end of these two days, we all had a clear view of our two dance pieces and although it was sad to end, these rehearsals were vital and so enjoyable. I now feel prepared and will continue to look forward to the Sum of Parts show.



Photo: Gigi Giannella

No comments:

Post a Comment